J.G. Thirlwell continues work on new commissioned compositions for the Kronos Quartet, which will potentially premiere in 2010.
Thirlwell’s first commissioned composition for Kronos, entitled Nomatophobis, premiered 7th April 2006 at Zankel Hall in New York (alongside pieces by Terry Riley and Glenn Branca). Kronos will again perform the piece:
- 11th Mar 2009 as part of the MusicNow festival at Memorial Hall, Cincinnati OH
- 27th Mar 2009 at the University of Notre Dame
- 14th Apr 2009 at Cal State Sacramento
- 8th May 2009 at Palatia Jazz in Speyer Germany
- 5th Jun 2009 at The Sydney Opera House in Australia
- 6th Jun 2009 at the Melbourne Recital Centre in Australia
It was part of the programme on 24th Oct 2008 at the Uppsala Konsert & Kongress in Uppsala, Sweden; and on 15th Nov 2008 at the Lensic Performing Arts Center in Santa Fe, NM. Previous performances have included Temple Emanu-El in San Francisco on 8th Jan 2007; Royce Hall at UCLA in Los Angeles on 20th Jan 2007; at Theatre d’Arras in Arras France on 1st June 2007; on 22nd Jul at the CSU Summer Arts Festival in Fresno, CA; and on 27th Jul at Rancho Nicasio in California.
Nomatophobis is unrecorded as yet, and will be featured in future Kronos programmes as deemed appropriate.