Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Foetus Buyer's Guide (UPDATED)  (Read 28994 times)

Gonzola
  • Foetal

Re: A Foetus Buyer's Guide
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »
I am curious... on a release timeline, where does JGT's sobriety come to play? I know he is C&S now, but when did that happen? Was it, per chance, sometime between Gash and Flow?

I only wonder because as someone else has already pointed-out, Flow is the product of a renewed, revitalised musician.

poetryslam

Re: A Foetus Buyer's Guide (UPDATED)
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 03:38:11 PM »
i believe 1997 was the nadir of Thirlwell's descent into chemical castration, and then it was either go full-on corey haim or get his shit together and start putting his life in order. thankfully, we didn't lose him. that would've been such a tragedy... his best work was still ahead of him...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:57:39 PM by poetryslam »

hughesta
  • Supercalifragilisticsadomasochistic!
  • My friends call my Sisy. You can call me Mr. Jones

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 04:44:15 PM »
RIFE is fucking awesome.

poetryslam

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 05:57:18 PM »
RIFE is fucking awesome.

awesomely bad...

princess_stomper
  • Foetalmaniac
    • Reinspired

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 05:51:28 AM »
i believe 1997 was the nadir of Thirlwell's descent into chemical castration, and then it was either go full-on corey haim or get his shit together and start putting his life in order. thankfully, we didn't lose him. that would've been such a tragedy... his best work was still ahead of him...
Yeah, something like that. Someone from Mudhoney remarked of Alice In Chains' Layne Staley that seeing him (unwell) made him feel all twisted up inside, and that's how I felt seeing Foetus in 2000, and is why I avoided Foetus for another 10 years - I just couldn't bear to even think about it. Imagine my surprise that he'd spent nine of those years making better music than ever! I talked to someone at the Neubauten gig a few weeks back who also wandered off around that point and had no idea about FLOW, LOVE, HIDE, etc and I was telling them and they seemed really surprised and happy to hear about it. I hope they also decide to take a chance on a listen.

I did just want to put a word in for GASH, because I think it's right up there with NAIL and LOVE. It's got some lesser moments, like Downfall, but it's also got some of the best ever tracks.

Live-wise, I think MALE is a great album in its own right, and some of the tracks are, imo, better than the album recordings (Poland, Hot Horse).

This is the compilation mix I made for Him Indoors, who's a fan of "industrial rock", so I wanted to keep things towards the guitar-rock end of the spectrum. I felt weird not including anything from NAIL or LOVE, but nothing really seemed to fit within that context.

I Hate You All (DAMP)
Verklemmt (Vid Mix) (NULL/VOID)
Someone Who Cares (FLOW)
Butterfly Potion (BP e.p.)
Hot Horse (MALE)
Butter (NULL/VOID)
Quick Fix (Clouser mix) (BLOW)
Steal Your Life Away (GASH)
Victim or Victor (FLOW)
The Need Machine (FLOW)
You're Trying To Break Me (HIDE)
Into The Light (NULL/VOID)
Don't Hide It Provide It (THAW)
Wash It All Off (SINK)
A Prayer For My Death (THAW)
Overcoat (Hydroze Plus)
Bad Day In Greenpoint (Ectopia)
Mutapump (GASH)

DLJ
  • Administrator

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 09:58:34 PM »
RIFE is fucking awesome.

awesomely bad...

if it's all you had at the time, for Foetus live, it was pretty great...  I also had the Feedus Foetus bootleg LP, recorded on the same tour, and RIFE was superior.  given that RIFE was an auto-bootleg I think it was "dumbed-down" a little bit.  and it still beats BOIL for a live album, altho BOIL thankfully captured some of the live cover tracks we'll likely never hear again, so has redeeming qualities of its own.  plus RIFE is the only album i've owned from which i could make a clock.

DLJ
  • Administrator

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Live-wise, I think MALE is a great album in its own right, and some of the tracks are, imo, better than the album recordings (Poland, Hot Horse).

i'm not sure i count MALE as a truly live album.  it was recorded & filmed over a number of shows (not just the CBGB's shows listed on the CD/DVD), and was - according to my ears - tweaked & mixed & layered in the studio. 

robertdee
  • Foetal
    • Robert Dee

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 06:08:25 AM »
Personally, I can't stand the Foetus Live Rock format. To me Foetus is pretty unique and that got lost in the live rock translation so that it sounded like a thousand other live bands. Foetus with a (rock) orchestra, now that's something I haven't had a chance to see yet so, fingers-crossed, someone will stump up the money to put that on in the UK again.
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”

MindlessAutomata

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 06:42:27 AM »
Personally, I can't stand the Foetus Live Rock format. To me Foetus is pretty unique and that got lost in the live rock translation so that it sounded like a thousand other live bands. Foetus with a (rock) orchestra, now that's something I haven't had a chance to see yet so, fingers-crossed, someone will stump up the money to put that on in the UK again.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought this.

princess_stomper
  • Foetalmaniac
    • Reinspired

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 08:57:51 AM »
I think Thirlwell's one of those rare people who can excel at everything he tries. He put on the rock mantle like a stage costume and managed to rock more than anyone else I saw at the time - I'm thinking of the 1996 gig. Being a "rock star" requires a certain presence or persona - a sort of sensuality mixed with a swaggering arrogance and aggressiveness - and you have to convey all that with a look. He managed to pull that off and belt out songs very tunefully while moving around and making full use of the stage. Put bluntly, he had "The X Factor", rock-star style: you know how all those Idol contestants ape Maria and Whitney; he was channelling Elvis and Jim Morrison and Robert Plant and all those classic stars but it never felt like an impersonation - it felt entirely authentic and exciting to watch. The sound did likewise, and that's what MALE conveys: a sort of caricature of rock that captures its essence and rawness of emotion. I don't mind at all that it's been cleaned up - I didn't notice any flaws from the crowd, so it's only right to reflect that by compiling the best bits of each performance.

There almost isn't a wrong place to start with Foetus (well, other than YORK, which is bloody awful). I'm fairly convinced now that JGT is some sort of Red Dwarf-style Pleasure GELF - he just sucks out my musical desires from my subconscious and releases them as an album, even before I know it's what I want to hear.

Maybe I am a deranged, dribblingly obsessive fan ... or maybe I'm just a much happier person since I got back into Foetus. You should have seen me after Fallout 3 came out - I didn't shut the fuck up about that for a year, either - but I did manage to convince eight people to buy the game, and they all bloody loved it, too. ;)

poetryslam

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
for me, the stuff that drew me to foetus in the first place never translated well into the live rock show format. the subtleties were gone in favor of punishing noise. it was, for me, dumbed down to match the limitations of the live format, and it robbed it of the most important elements that made his music unique.

plus, i have to say, Thirlwell never really looked comfortable on stage to me. it was as if he thought this is what rock stars are supposed to do. it just felt self conscious to me. forced. it never worked for me. Thirlwell's place is hunched over a mixing board by himself with his cat on his lap, not in some silly devil-elvis costume shaking his narrow hips in stage while the band pummels his music into pulp behind him.

the orchestral versions of steroid maximus and manorexia are a notable exception and a huge step in the right direction, but i think of live foetus as sort of the mp3 version of the listening experience. it sounds so much better on record.

i think to do it up right, there would have to be this huge event going on stage that would be so expensive, groups of horn players, a symphony, twelve drummers, amazing sound... since he couldn't have that, it's like he had to dumb it all down for the rock show shitty sound crappy club format, and for me it just didn't work. the records were SO much better.

and you know... when jim had the chance to work with a large big band in the studio... i kinda think it showed how much better it sounds when he's cutting and pasting and rearranging ("greased nipples") than when he's working with actual people ("slung").

i don't know... there are some songs that i'd love to see live... "sieve" seems like a perfect song for the live format... as does maybe like "(You Got Me Confused With) Someone Who Cares"... but mostly... i want my foetus on headphones...

Thirlwell has always said that the studio is his instrument, and i wholeheartedly agree, and i think the live versions have failed for me because of this. his narrow ass belongs in a studio, not a stage, unless it's behind a conductor's podium.

and can i just say this?

i love jim Thirlwell's music so much. lifelong, man... i am a lifer... he could fart in a bag and pop it, and i would buy it... which is what happened with YORK...

(see how i did that?)

NodmiTheSellout
  • Global Moderator

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 01:06:48 AM »
This just made me wonder if I could successfully mail a fart by farting into a ziploc bag. And would they want to advertise being so air-tight you could mail a fart? Hummm.

DLJ
  • Administrator

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 02:34:50 PM »
i don't know... there are some songs that i'd love to see live... "sieve" seems like a perfect song for the live format...

that's how it started out, as a live-only song that he eventually recorded in the studio and released.  it was fantastic played live (as seen in part on the DVD that came with LIMB), and I would ask him every year or two if that track would ever be released. 

poetryslam

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 09:43:57 PM »
if i were to mail a fart in a zip lock bag... i would draw a nice warm bath, then submerge myself and fill the zip lock bag with water, then i would hold it in the proper position to catch said fart, which then rise into the bag and displace an equal amount of water. then i would zip the big up, and i would zip it inside another bag just in case.

sure it would be watery, but the fart essence would be pure.

and then... yeah... put that sucker in a box with some popcorn, and you are good to go.

you hear me, Thirlwell?

the next album?

FART

MindlessAutomata

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 11:15:20 PM »
Make sure it's a rank and powerful fart, like a spinach fart.  The kind of fart where you can feel the neurons in your brain dying.