Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Foetus Buyer's Guide (UPDATED)  (Read 30203 times)

almightycooter
  • Zygote

Re: A Foetus Buyer's Guide
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 09:44:08 PM »
the only foetus albums to avoid are the live albums

Gotta disagree there, both Male and Rife I think are fantastic. Especially the first disc of Male. Boil, as stated earlier, is garbage. Shame too, because of all the covers and weird stuff that was on that release.

tea_grass
  • Zygote

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 04:56:26 AM »
well, there you go, there's a foetus release for everyone.  i should have kept it open-ended on the objectivity, that was my opinion, if those live albums do it for you, nothing wrong with that!!!

i also think wiseblood should be given some serious credit, i think that's one of the better side efforts from jim, and all of the lydia stuff

Soi Cowboy
  • Embryonic

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 12:47:02 PM »
What about York?

chemicalsludge
  • Foetal

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »
I randomly came across MALE in a bargain bin at a local record shop...what a record! ...I think the cover made me buy it  + a girl I know always talked about JGT (the only person I know who actually knows who he is)...then months later found a copy of PTTM in the same bin...my introduction  been an addict ever since

DLJ
  • Administrator
  • Supercalifragilisticsadomasochistic!

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 01:55:04 AM »
As far as live albums go, personally, BOIL and YORK are unnecessary, whereas MALE and RIFE are essential.  That's my ha'penny.

fas
  • Foetal

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 06:53:05 AM »
i kind of like York, i don't exactly know why. But it's a good listen for me, not constantly though.

chemicalsludge
  • Foetal

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 03:36:02 AM »
MALE was also my intro to Cop Shoot Cop...wow what an introduction Foetus and Cop Shoot Cop...what a find!

Strontium Dawg
  • Zygote

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »
Another vote for Gash here.

There was a metal/industrial feel to Foetus in the Thaw-Wiseblood-Gash years, with JGT scratching his experiemantal itch via Steroid Maximus. I certainly don't see it as sticking out at all; rather it's the end point of the direction in which he was heading at the time.

p.s Brilliant buyer's guide, PS, thanks very much. It was one of those pieces of writing that made me want to revisit everything you spoke about.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:15:13 PM by Strontium Dawg »

mchownyk
  • Zygote

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »
I have to say I agree with you on most points, with two minor exceptions: Mortgage (GASH) is a great song, and Butterfly Potion live from MALE is, in my opinion, better than the studio version.  You can really hear the intensity in JGT's voice, especially the 'gougin at the eyeballs' line.  He sounds both sad and enraged which, I guess, is the point of that song.  Also, I used to really like Wiseblood, but not so much anymore- the macho posturing, all that shit.  Stumbo and Where Evil Dwells are good but I could never hear Prime Gonzola again and be just fine with it.  Motorslug and Someone Drowned are good too, but Fudge Punch?  Aw, c'mon man. 
Wiseblood was actually the first show of JGT's I ever saw and, having never seen a picture of him, didn't know what to expect.  And suddenly this character walks past me, stick thin, wearing cowboy boots, fringe leather jacket, biker shades, and huge shock of curly red hair.  He steps onto the stage, starts singing Someone Drowned In My Pool, and I was blown away.  Very charismatic stage presence.  'Course, I was very high at the time but still... the only other performer who came close to that kind of stage presence was Rollins in his Black Flag days.

DLJ
  • Administrator
  • Supercalifragilisticsadomasochistic!

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 10:47:34 PM »
i think wiseblood was something of an over-the-top concept.  i imagine JGT and Roli sitting around, kicking ideas, smoking and drinking, and the lit upon the idea of it all, developed it, and put it into action.  Clint Ruin, the ultimate alter-ago, doing the ultimate testosterone-drenched sweaty hotrod drug-fueled swaggering music for mayhem and murder and sex. 

mchownyk
  • Zygote

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:59 AM »
Yeah, I can dig where you're coming from- and at the time I thought Wiseblood was great and probably helped boost my self esteem or whatever.  But these days... nah.  It's funny, my friends from back then have children now and their kids get a kick out of Stumbo, with the dinosaur grunts and all.  I still have a Dirt Dish t-shirt that I consider something of a relic so only bring out on special occasions.  The last time Foetus played here (Detroit) my wife wore it and Jim was checking her out- I think he was surprised one of those shirts still existed.  Well, that and my wife is pretty hot.  But yeah, Wiseblood was what it was for its time but I'm kinda glad he closed that franchise down.  At least, I'm pretty sure he has.

drainland
  • Zygote

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
at the time of Dirtdish I think Jim said in an interview that they wanted to incorporate 3 specific elements into the music which were, sick, violent and macho. Which kinda makes the album make a bit more sense when you listen to it. My Dirtdish t-shirt unfortunately ended up completely battered and had to get chucked. I think (and hope) I still have my Motorslug t-shirt somewhere, so if I manage to shrink to the size I was when I was about 16 I might where it again!  ;)

I played some of the 12"s recently and was still really into them. Will have to spin Dirtdish again. Been listening to a lot of stuff recently and having a clear out of CDs and it's interesting how your taste changes... I like to think it becomes crystallised!

rynne
  • Foetal

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 01:39:38 PM »
There's another interview in the archives where Jim said something like, Wiseblood is violent macho American music made by non-Americans.

I like Wiseblood, it feels like a distillation of the violent aspects of Nail.  For example, I always view "Pigswill" and "Stumbo" as variations on the same theme.

ren
  • Zygote

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »
While I don't disagree that Nail and Hole are the Foetus releases par excellence, I am always surprised at how little people care for Deaf and Ache.  I really think that these albums are fantastic, Deaf in particular.  "Is That a Line?" is pure genius, with some of Thirlwell's most ridiculously wonderful lyrics.  'Surrounded by Incompetence', "Slogging" and "Flashback" are also phenomenal.  Ache is a little weaker IMO, but still some amazing moments (Gums Bleed! Mark of the Ostracizor!). 

What is it about these records that people do not enjoy? I understand that they sound quite archaic or dated, but I don't see this as a fault. Compared to other records of the same era, it seems that they may have sounded a bit dated even then! Part of their charm, to me.
ren

tea_grass
  • Zygote

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »
if it's any consolation, deaf is my favorite foetus album as a whole, although there's a mood for each album, and i think there are specific songs on hole, nail, and various singles that top deaf as individual songs.  "i am surrounded by incompetence" was the song on a mixtape that got me into foetus, just completely over the top, zany, and unlike anything else.  the locked groove at the end is great, it's a perfect balance between sound experiments and songs, can't beat it.  i think ache is a bit lesser, but it's still good.