Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Connection between Devo and Foetus  (Read 3778 times)

poetryslam

Connection between Devo and Foetus
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:42:19 PM »
i have always loved the spud boys from akron, and my love for them in high school paved the way for every "different" kind of music i would end up going crazy over, music like skinny puppy and ministry and big black and nine inch nails and, inevitably, foetus.

their very best stuff was a rhythmically intense mixture of cacophony and melody, melding electronics, drums, and guitar into tight patterns of tension and release, and that's exactly how i would describe the very best of foetus. when i hear the beginning of "swelling itching brain," "timing x," or "red eye express" from "duty now for the future," it totally reminds me of stuff from DEAF, especially "negative energy" and the beginning of "surrounded by incompetence."

i always thought the worst thing devo ever did was lose their love of real guitars and drums in favour of synths. rather than follow a path that created a strengthened bond between electronics and real flesh and blood analog instruments, they became some kind of lame, washed out cartoon version of devo with no bite and no rhythm. they could've easily morphed into leaders of the industrial music scene, but they faded into obscurity and nostalgia.

until...

holy crap, have you guys heard their latest music? talk about a foetus caught back on fire! it's so freaking great, and the guitars and drums are back, and so are the intense rhythms! they haven't put out a record in 20 years, and they are releasing some of the best music of their entire careers. i am so happy to have my devo back!

check out www.clubdevo.com to listen to snippets from their latest tracks. freakin' amazing!

so, has anyone else here considered themselves a spudboy or spudgirl? does anyone know if jim was influenced in any way by devo? they both have a wonderful way of stealing from popular culture and regurgitating it to make comments on that culture... it makes me think he must appreciate them in some way. whenever i have been tasked with describing foetus music to the uninitiated, i have also said it was some kind of blend between devo and nine inch nails with the gallows humour of oingo boingo, only more rhythmically intense and cinematic.

comments?

Gonzola
  • Foetal

Re: Connection between Devo and Foetus
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:24:58 PM »
I'm just a spudboy looking for that real tomato.

I always thought the most "Foetusy" thing Devo-related was Mark Mothersbaugh's theme to Pee-Wee's Playhouse. It's brilliant.

In fact, now that I think about it, there was this recurring "gag" on the Playhouse, where a "salesman" would knock on the door. When Pee-Wee would answer it, the salesman would start his sales pitch, accompanied by this menacing, looped Fairlight "orchestral stab" that was more Foetus than Foetus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKcYGOIJhqo
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:30:12 PM by Gonzola »

DLJ
  • Administrator
  • Supercalifragilisticsadomasochistic!

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:26:35 AM »
both JGT and Mark Mothersbaugh did artwork for EXIT magazine (later compiled in The EXIT Collection book published by yours truly)...that's the only semi-direct connection I am aware of.
have you ever seen any of Mothersbaugh's artwork?  pretty interesting and bizarre.

itchythesamurai
  • Embryonic

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:41:05 PM »
I was actually thinking about the similarities between early Foetus and Devo the other day.  Thinking about trying to turn my spud friend on to JGT with some Deaf, which would almost never be the first Foetus album I'd give to anyone.

marcelo madrid
  • Zygote

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:07:07 PM »
Got into both bands within the same year (back in '87 when I was just 15).
Can't see many similarities between them though.

Devo are certainly 'straighter'.

princess_stomper
  • Foetalmaniac
    • Reinspired

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »
Thirlwell definitely needs to record footage of himself playing with cats while listening to 'HIDE'.

:D

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/7685682