Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best Of 2009 by JG Thirlwell  (Read 6979 times)

fas
  • Foetal

Re: Best Of 2009 by JG Thirlwell
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:59:58 AM »
Performing naked in John Duncan’s choir at Performa, Gramercy Theater

What?

robertdee
  • Foetal
    • Robert Dee

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 12:48:34 PM »
For someone who didn't mind getting his cock sucked on film in the 80s I imagine nudity is a breeze.
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”

fas
  • Foetal

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 06:01:16 PM »
Oh, temporarily forgot about that.

DLJ
  • Administrator
  • Supercalifragilisticsadomasochistic!

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 11:35:18 PM »
For someone who didn't mind getting his cock sucked on film in the 80s I imagine nudity is a breeze.

i think that was more tame than the semi-masturbation scenes he did in same (kern films)...leather chaps, chewing gum, and sneering all the while.

NodmiTheSellout
  • Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 03:13:17 AM »
For some reason whenever this comes up my reaction is "I want to see" followed closely by ". . .maybe not". And then it see-saws. Stupid brain. Basically whenever I hear that there's anything remotely uhm. . .unusual (in the sense that it's not a situation you'd usually see a musician in, not that being nude, masturbating or getting a blowjob is particularly "weird"), I get curious about it. But not curious enough to pursue it with any sort of gusto.

MindlessAutomata

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 04:14:50 AM »
For some reason whenever this comes up my reaction is "I want to see" followed closely by ". . .maybe not". And then it see-saws. Stupid brain. Basically whenever I hear that there's anything remotely uhm. . .unusual (in the sense that it's not a situation you'd usually see a musician in, not that being nude, masturbating or getting a blowjob is particularly "weird"), I get curious about it. But not curious enough to pursue it with any sort of gusto.

whatever you say, ya voyeur

candy
  • Foetal

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:37:50 PM »
I like the fact that he's got White's debut album on his list. It's actually on top of my list for 2009. You can check out some of it here: http://www.myspace.com/whitebeijing

I haven't heard most of the other music on JGT's list, except for Veckatimest and Tarot Sport. Both nice but not outstanding, not on my top 10 anyway. But I will probably check out a few of the other ones on the list.

I've also got a Throbbing Gristle concert on my top list (Copenhagen). On the very top of my top list, actually, it was absolutely outstanding.

But I didn't perform naked. Sorry. Will try harder this year.  :-[ ;D

popshifter
  • Embryonic
    • Popshifter: One Giant Leap For Fankind

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »

i think that was more tame than the semi-masturbation scenes he did in same (kern films)...leather chaps, chewing gum, and sneering all the while.

One of my favorite things ever. I love a lot of things that make me extremely uncomfortable and amused, simultaneously.

So many good films on that Kern Hardcore disc. The one with all the self-mutilation is horrific and mesmerizing. Oh! And the one with the repeated: "The number you have dialed, 6-6-6-6-6-6-6 has been disconnected. . . "

robertdee
  • Foetal
    • Robert Dee

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »
I gave a presentation on Kern and the Cinema of Transgression as part of my film degree. I think I scared off a few fellow classmates but got 70% so wasn't all bad. Also had a good chat with UK film reviewer Mark Kermode about The Exorcist and Charles Manson's influence on its success.
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”

DLJ
  • Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:51:34 PM »

One of my favorite things ever. I love a lot of things that make me extremely uncomfortable and amused, simultaneously.

So many good films on that Kern Hardcore disc. The one with all the self-mutilation is horrific and mesmerizing. Oh! And the one with the repeated: "The number you have dialed, 6-6-6-6-6-6-6 has been disconnected. . . "

...when JGT did his MTV Europe Alternative Nation co-hosting gig, the host brought up the Kern films, saying something like "you get to see a LOT of Foetus" to which Jim replied "I've got 12 inches but I don't use it as a rule."  clever boy.  i uploaded that MTV clip to youtube a while back but it was sniffed out and deleted pretty quick...

MindlessAutomata

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 01:08:25 AM »
I find it interesting that his musical tastes aren't anything near the "industrial"/noise sound he's most famous for (HOLE, NAIL, THAW...).

Checked out some of the albums listed, and glad I did--Whales And Cops' Great Bouncing Icebergs is pretty nifty.