JG Thirlwell contributes vocals to the new James Williamson (of The Stooges) album Re-Licked. Williamson was Iggy’s guitarist and collaborator on the classic Iggy And The Stooges Raw Power album, and returned to the live Stooges fold a few years ago. Re-Licked features “lesser-known Stooges tracks (written after Raw Power and before Kill City) properly recorded and mixed for the first time” with guest lead singers including Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys), Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees), Alison Mosshart (The Kills), Mario Cuomo (The Orwells), Bobby Gillespie (Primal Scream), Ariel Pink and others. James is backed by live Stooges members Steve Mackay, Toby Dammit, and Mike Watt (also of The Minutemen, fIREHOSE, etc) and that dog.’s Petra Haden provides backup vocals. The album’s due out on October 29 via Leopard Lady Records.
Thirlwell performs the song “Rubber Leg”.
“As far as the singers who come closest to mirroring Iggy’s snarl and charm, full marks go to Thirlwell” says Joel Gausten.
The cat’s out of the bag : JG Thirlwell is appearing on the new Melvins album, lending his vocal talents to a cover David Bowie’s “Station to Station”. The album also features guests Scott Kelly of Neurosis, Caleb Benjamin of Tweak Bird, Mark Arm, Jello Biafra and many more. The album is all cover versions, featuring their interpretations of songs from artists ranging from Roxy Music and Queen to Throbbing Gristle and Venom.
The album will be released on April 30 on Ipecac Records.
Track listing is as follows
01. Warhead – Venom (feat. Scott Kelly)
02. Best Friend—Queen (feat. Caleb Benjamin)
03. Black Betty—Unknown
04. Set It On Fire—The Scientists (feat. Mark Arm)
05. Station To Station—David Bowie (J.G. Thirlwell)
06. Attitude—The Kinks (feat. Clem Burke)
07. Female Trouble—Divine (Melvins Lite)
08. Carpe Diem—The Fugs
09. Timothy Leary Lives—Pop-O-Pies (Melvins Lite)
10. In Every Dream Home A Heartache—Roxy Music (feat. Jello Biafra and Kevin Rutmanis)
11. Romance—Tales Of Terror (Melvins Lite)
12. Art School—The Jam (feat. Tom Hazelmeyer)
13. Heathen Earth—Throbbing Gristle